Saturday, November 1, 2008

LETTERS FROM STEVO...Amy's Dirty Thirty!




Contrary to popular belief, that devastatingly good looking, young, thin, irresistable to women, hunk is yours truly. That is not Amy's ex-husband, nor did I eat that guy...literally anyway. That picture was taken 8 years ago when Amy graduated (in 3 years as she was bragging about in her recent post) from college. Amy studied international politics and spent her final semester in DC working as an intern for Democratic Congressman Tom Lantos. So, in celebration of Amy's "dirty thirty" birthday, I'll post my customary blog roast in dedication to my beloved wife. My focus will be our courtship.

I first met Amy in Provo at a house I was living in with 8-10 other guys. Amy and her roomates came by our house for a get together with others...upon introductions, Amy couldn't take her eyes off me! At that time, I was working full-time driving a forklift for a soup manufacturing company in Heber City, I hadn't started college yet, but was working on enrolling...I know what you're thinking..."A rough, forklift certified hunk from New Mexico? How could Amy have resisted??" Since I was this unpolished, roughneck dude who hadn't started college yet, Amy viewed me as someone to hook up with (if you know what I mean!) on a strictly non-commitment level. I viewed Amy as just another BYU gal fawning over me. We remained friends and dated other people...we even joked that we would get married but still see other people! I noticed Amy was a little on the "bossy" side and once commented to her that I felt sorry for the dude who married her!

During these times I often reflected upon what exactly I wanted in a spouse. I decided certain traits took precedence over others. There obviously had to be a physical attraction, but I also put a heavey focus on gals who possessed personality, spunk, wit, intelligence and humor. I had to be married to someone I felt I could BS with and debate things with. I can get bored with people after a while, so I had to be with someone that would keep me on my toes! After sifting through many females and formulating what I wanted, I began seeing that Amy was someone worth chasing. For her part, Amy also began to realize I wasn't the bumpkin scumbag she initially thought I was! As these opinions were begining to materialize, Amy decided to go to DC for a semester.

Once I had a dream that I proposed to Amy, it was over for me...I was hooked and knew who I wanted. I was living in a different house at this point that was nicknamed "The Zoo" because it housed 10 college guys, 2 Egyptians, 2 pit bulls and a python...I'm not kidding! Three of my roomates were talking about dating Amy when she got back to Provo, and I'm not talking about the 2 Egyptians and the python! I realized I needed to be more aggressive and use all the game I had! So I began emailing Amy quite a bit and needless to say, the flirtations got pretty deep! This was all happening during a fall semester and in December I lost Ol' Ern to a car accident and had to take a sabbatical to New Mexico for a couple of weeks. Of course, I stayed in touch with Amy and we both returned to Provo around the same time. We immediately started dating...my roomates didn't have a chance! The rest as they say is history!

The following is a list of why I like Amy:

- She pretty much lets me do whatever I want
- She appreciates my twisted humor and sarcasm
- She is my biggest critic and will call me out on my BS anytime.
- I can be extremely honest with her
- We get our issues out in the open. This can be fun to watch since neither of us will back down from a good fight!
- She is the black sheep of her family, yet her sisters have a high respect for her and look to her for advice.
- She thinks she's always right and I LOVE it when she's wrong!!!
- Ma Busch thinks she's a saint
- Bud thinks she hung the moon

Happy Birthday Dork!

5 comments:

Gorge Us Family said...

You do have it pretty great.

Emily Sue said...

I'm pretty sure she didn't hang the moon, but she is pretty awesome. Happy Birthday!

CraigT said...

You forgot to mention she looks a lot like her dad! Beautiful!!

Renee said...

Awww...sweet, sweet love. I remember those courtship days. So glad you turned out to be more than a rough riding, forklift driving, redneck Steffan. Nothing but the best for my girl! Happy belated b-day Amy!!

Jen said...

Steffan, you are hilarious.

Amy, you really are the black sheep... I am beginning to wonder why we all think of you as our life coach!

Happy 30th!