Saturday, October 18, 2008

LETTERS FROM STEVO...Smells Like Politics


Political season is upon us! Everyone starts talking about the issues and how passionate they are about them! Dinner table discussions turn from the everyday minutiae of who went shopping where and what happened at church to ill informed theorizing and grandstanding on economic policy...we all know how to fix the economy! Everyone's opinion is correct and everyone else's is wrong! If you vote for Obama, you're children will die! If you vote for McCain, the polar ice caps will melt! The Congressional candidates either party with terrorists or big oil tycoons...take your pick. The putridity of political punditry on the 24 hour news channels are closely watched and regurgitated...ratings are through the roof. Most of the time, we are pretty apathetic towards politics until "political season" rolls around. That is why I propose we change the name of "Election Day" to "Anti-Voter Apathy Day." It's the one day we can show how much we "know" about politics and how much we "care" about politics. Now, this leads to some tough questions. Is one side right and the other wrong? Is it really a matter of good vs. evil? Do everyone's beliefs fit into one of two very neatly defined pegs? My response is an emphatic no, no and NO.

Don't get me wrong, I have my beliefs and opinions...I get anti-apathetic around this time as well. I used to be more forceful about my opinions, but as I've gotten older I've realized that the more I learn the less I "know". Presently, when political discussions come up, I usually stay quiet until I interject that I favor clubbing baby seals...I really don't favor clubbing baby seals, but it usually gets a reaction! I prefer talking politics in a civilized conversational tone now. I will divulge my beliefs and why I believe them and I will listen to your beliefs and why you believe them, but I will not argue. I used to argue with Ma Busch a lot, because we don't agree on anything, but since I've learned how to tone it down, we can actually discuss issues with civility. She can make points that make me think and vice versa. And of course insulting condescension is a sure sign of stupidity...something I've been guilty of a time or two. At this point, it appears to me that political ideology stems from various factors that include personality, values, socialization, etc. In other words, it can be a very personal matter. I'm not going to change Ma Busch's opinions and she's not going to change mine, but we can enjoy each other's company and respect each other's opinions and beliefs. So, as a parting shot I state this: To Whomever is reading this rambling post, I respect your opinions...especially if you favor clubbing baby seals! Vote for Stevo!

4 comments:

Emily Sue said...

The putridity of political punditry... that is a mouth full. You don't have to use big words to make us think you are smart. Very nice post!

CraigT said...

What a crock of *&!@ When will your silence on arguable issues evolve into the sports world? If I had a putrid baby seal, I would club you with it!

Buschfest said...

I cannot be silenced on sports issues! I will not be silent! My only response to you clubbing me with a baby seal is...you and what army???

Stevo

Renee said...

The love abounding in this family warms the cockles of my heart...really.